Sunday, January 10, 2010

Damn you Whitney!

Disclaimer: Allow me to extend a preemptive apology to whoever happens to be reading this entry hoping for a fun travel story, an intellectually stimulating thought, or at least a mildly amusing anecdote. You'll get nothing of the sort today. Today I complain about Whitney Houston.

A teacher in the English department has been administering a listening skills test for all of her students. A listening test is when a recording is played on a portable stereo for the students to hear. They sit quietly and write down the words as fast as they can. The selection is played 2 to 3 times in a row.

I don't take issue with the exercise. Its a fine idea, but why oh why did did the audio selection have to be Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You?!



Albeit, the song will go down in the books as one of the greatest solo performances in music history. That's a given. What makes the song so special is the vocal range, especially the high note. You know the note. Nobody else can hit that note, nobody. But it isn't meant to be played 26 times daily for a week! If you are within a 5 block radius of room 423 you've got Whitney stuck in your head. Whats worse is all the Thai kids and teachers walk around singing it, all trying to hit "the note". Like I said earlier, only one woman can hit that note. Her name is Whitney. So if you're not Whitney, then stop it. Let it be.



A second apology shall be issued to anyone who has Whitney stuck in their head as a result of my post. I feel your pain.




Allow me to repair the damage with a quote from American Psycho. Patrick Bateman's thoughts on Whitney:

Bateman - Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP called simply Whitney Houston, had four number one singles on it? Did you know that Christi?


Christi - You actually listen to Whitney Houston? You own a Whitney Houston cd? More than one?


Bateman - It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks. But The Greatest Love of All is one of the best and most powerful songs ever written about self preservation and dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really, and it's beautifully stated on the album.


If you'll excuse me, I've got some video tapes to return. I'm signing off.

Make it a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Flashes of Laura Schlessinger! "Now, go take on the day."

    I am thinking that, for extra credit, you should have a listening test featuring ODB or Joe Cocker. You know, just for S's and G's. Or perhaps something more universally known, like The Carpenters or Jimmy Buffet. Margarittaville might make for a hilarious Thai Madlibs.

    Anyway, just lost a phone face-off to Manda. Ouch. What makes it even worse though, was that it was our own mother who asked me, "oh! Manda is calling in on the other line, *pause* ,mind if I call you back, sweetie?" It's been two hours. I will cray myself to sleep tonight on my giant pilla'.

    Good stuff, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the record show....Vince offered to hang up, I was willing to call the Babes back! It did turn into a long convo. Then, wait for it......
    I forgot! So sad...a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

    I think you should use "Rappers Delight" or "wild Thing" by Tone Loc. Those would be awesome!

    Just had "sub par" pho. I hate when that happens! But Vin and your Dad seem to enjoy it, mine was watery but I didn't add any hot sauce, I'm a purest that way. :)

    Tomorrow it's back to work, today is MLK day so Vin and I get to enjoy a day off. We shall both reflect and pray for the state of our country. I think you said it best in one of your blog entries..."God Bless America".

    Love you Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete