Thursday, November 12, 2009

daft punk = quality lesson plan

I had an epiphany when I was jogging late last night. Have you ever heard the song Technologic? When it popped up on my playlist I had an urge to bring it with me to the classroom. So today I did. Daft Punk blew some 14 year old minds, lemme tell ya. The song turned out to be an awesome classroom tool for teaching basic verbs to the rambunctious 14 year olds who would otherwise terrorize me for the full 50 minutes. Just bring an iPod and some speakers to class… baby you got yourself a lesson plan goin.

“Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, now upgrade it. Charge it, pawn it, zoom it, pose it, snap it, work it-quick erase it.”

The students could barely understand the fast-talking robot voice at first, but after 6 listens or so, they got an ear for it and learned the art of dancing in their seats. Fun was had and verbs were learned.

I'm looking forward to my irregular past tense verb exercise for this afternoon. I'm using Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang"…because they’re not quite ready for the Raconteurs version. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea Mark! I bet the kids loved it! The looks on their faces when you started the music was priceless I'm sure. Sounds like you are being very resourceful with your methods, way to think outside the box! See if you can download "School House Rock" or "grammer rock". Fun stuff! Just had a chat with you this morning, enjoy your time in Nan city! Eat a banana for me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete