Friday, November 20, 2009

Chiang Mai or bust.

My tale starts at Thawangphapittayakhom school. This morning I woke up to my usual alarm clock (the roosters cock a doodle doo) feeling great, ready to take on the world. Today felt different. Today I woke up with an extra spring in my step with Chiang Mai on my mind.

The plan:
8:20-8:25: English-speaking skit at the assembly

8:30 - 11:00: Make lesson plan for next week at the office

11:00 - 11:50: Teach the biggest group of S***heads I've got. I have nicknamed them the badnews bears. This was the reason I didn't leave earlier. Its not cool to stick anyone with the charge of subbing for this class.

11:50 - 12:15: Pack my gear for the weekend

12:15 - 13:00: Eat a snack and wait for the 1pm bus to Nan

13:00 - 14:00: Bus ride from Thawangpha to Nan

14:00-19:00: Bus ride from Nan to Chiang Mai

19:00: FREEDOM!

This didn't happen. I actually got to Nan ahead of schedule after taking the express songtaew (early 90's yota pick-up converted to a taxi) to the Nan bus station. Once I got to the bus station around 1:30, I went straight to the ticket booth and asked for the earliest bus out. She printed me off a ticket for a 10:30pm bus ride out. Surely there has been a failure to communicate! Nope. All the previous buses to Chiang Mai had been booked solid til 10:30pm. So whats 10:30 - 1:30? I believe its 9. 9 hours to kill in Nan, the city that the lonely planet tourist guide book described as having a "virtually featureless" downtown. So what does one do in a virtually featureless downtown for 9 hours?

I guess find an internet cafe and hit the blog. I'm on hour 3, with over 6 hours left before the bus leaves. Oooh, the phone just rang, the American teachers from Nan have decided that they'll rescue me. My situation just got better!

Chiang Mai or Bust. I don't care if I get there at 4am... which is looking like the most realistic ETA. Wish me patience and luck, I just might need both.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's an adventure to go anywhere. You will always be on time when you come back home...and you will be loving the washer and dryer! Today I'm doing the laundry, shopping thing...getting ready for the week. It is POURING rain again today...non stop. Temps in the 40's-50's. Pretty slimy, but I think you would like it...good weather to stay in and listen to the rain. SVU marathon, hot coffee and the smell of the coffee....Sunday paper,jammies and oj. Miss you Mark! Hope you have fun this weekend! Love you to pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Marcus,

    Glad you are going to make it to Chiang Mai. Ruby and I loved Chiang Mai wayyy more than Bangkok. Try to make it outside the old city walls...especially going northbound on the main highway I think called the Chotana Highway. There is an awesome open market on the left side of the road which you can't really miss just a little ways outside the walls. If you can, rent a moped for a day (always wear a helmet though!). Anyway, the market doesn't get too many tourists and is full of wonderful foods, fruits, and items that are reasonably priced.

    Ruby and I enjoy your blog. Keep posting them!

    Cheers,
    Zeck K. Donahue

    ReplyDelete