Sunday, June 6, 2010

Back at it

Back in the Saddle Again...
Angels aren't they?



Note the kid in the center of the frame giving me the double bird.

More of the double bird...

And this kid felt the urge to pummel on his friend during class.

In my last blog I believe I was talking about the joys of Song Kran, and the school year on the horizon. I still feel that Song Kran is bar none the coolest holiday worldwide. As far as teaching goes, I'm a month into the new quarter teaching some familiar faces and some new ones as well. I'm teaching 300 of my old students that are now 10th graders, and 300 new students that are now 8th graders.

Teaching to 8th graders is not unlike herding cats, or trying to domesticate wild dogs that have lived in the wild for their whole lives. What these groups all have in common is that they're highly allergic to demands of any kind. I'll tell a student to sit, and he'll sit. I'll thank him, and everything will be sunshine and lollipops-until I turn my back on him. Then he's back to running around hitting kids with a bamboo stick (teacher's pointer). I have reason to believe 90% of the kids in my lowest levels (lowest proficiency) have ADD and are incapable of paying attention for more than 5 seconds. My colleagues tell me that the observations I've made about 8th graders is not a problem unique to foreign teachers, but rather a problem for anyone that walks in front of the class with the intention of teaching. Luckily the other 85% of my classes are great. Its the start of the quarter so everyone else (ADD 8th graders being the exception) comes to my class on time, and fully prepared to learn. Life is good.

Over the past month I've done a bit of traveling. Highlights have to include:
- An empty schedule, lounging in a hammock on the beaches of Ko Tao. Ooooh, aaaaah.




- Weaving through the mountains of Northern Thailand on a sweet hog. I want your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle.


- Meeting new teachers to travel with. Left to Right: Dave the new teacher at my school, Girl Jessie, Boy Jesse, Kelly, Me, Alexis, and Ally. (The girls shown here are all teaching in Chiang Rai, a town 4 hours north of my village.)

At this stage I'd like to give a shout out to Jamie. Keep kickin ass and takin names, I love you and I'm always thinking about you. Hang in there cuz.

Did I mention that its starting to rain here?

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you again Markus! When it rains, it rains! Wow! We have been getting rain here too...everyone sez we are in the month of "Junuary"...ha-ha. (lame) Vin and I are hangin out watching the Daily Show. Your dad is on his way to Salt Lake City, and it's about bed time. I hope you are doing well. Your classes sound brutal and the students look like little ass holes. Hang in there my son...we love you very much and miss you more. Thanks for the glimpse into a day in the life of the Markie Man! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete